Friday, June 19, 2009

Trying to Figure It Out

We talked about starting a blog after we got married but I'm not exactly sure how this entire thing works. I've posted before on the family blog my sister-in-law started but I have never had to be the one who designs it and picks everything. I am going to learn but it may be a slow process.

We had a great wedding and something that will always be memorable. During the wedding ceremony, we had not one, but two people pass out. We didn't know we had that kind of affect on people! My grandpa gave us some really good advice before the actual ceremony. We were happy to have so many people with us at the temple to share our special day. We are grateful for the opportunities Heavenly Father has given us and for helping us find our way into each others hearts.

For the honeymoon, we went to Yellowstone and had a blast. We were able to see all the animals it has to offer except a coyote. We saw a black bear, grizzly bear, big horn sheep, lots of buffalo, tons of elk (including cows and big bulls), a fox, wolves, and a moose. Mahonri had been wanting to see a moose the entire time we were there, and the last night after we had given up hope of seeing one and were on our way back to the cabin, we spotted one. It was just as it was starting to get dark so the pictures didn't turn out as well as some of the other ones, but we were happy we got to see one. It was in this pond. The ironic thing is, each time we drove past this spot Mahonri would always comment that if he were a moose this is where he'd be. There was one other interesting thing that happened. As we were driving along, Mahonri spotted these two big bull elk. We pulled off the side of the road but couldn't get a good picture or look at them from where the truck was at. They were standing between these two little hills. I told Mahonri he should climb one of the small hills and get closer so we could get a picture of them. He jokingly said something about how they might chase after him. He took the camera and set off to get a good picture of these two elk. He went out of my view, and then suddenly he came running toward the truck as fast as he could. I was worried as I saw him running so quickly to the truck, because I thought the elk were really chasing after him. He jumped in the truck and I asked him if they were after him. He started laughing and told me no but that they were moving toward the road so we could drive back and get a good picture with them closer to the road. I will admit, my heart was pounding at first because I thought my husband was getting chased by some big elk. We laughed and joked about it afterward.

Married life is good. We are enjoying spending time together and look forward to getting to know each other better.

13 comments:

AnaLee M. said...

So glad you started this. I love checking in on the things that you're doing that don't always come up when were together.

We went to yellowstone on our honeymoon as well. Good times!! Fun that I was the one who wanted to see a moose as well on our trip and I got to see one on the way home too!

Kelly and Kathy said...

You are too smart Melissa. I hope that summer camp will go by fast for you so that you can both be back in Gunnison soon. Love, Dad

Matt and Lisa said...

Love the blog. Can't wait for more updates.

The Frandsen's said...

yeah! Yellowstone sounds awesome. you seem to have figured out a lot about blogging already!

Shilo said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you have a blog! Can't wait to see more!! Hope we can get together when I'm in Utah in July!!!

Enrique and Lindsay said...

Cute blog. Post pics of course and I'll be a happy camper :)

ron said...

Perfect couple, perfect wedding day, perfect honeymoon. Love, Uncle Ron

The Butler Family said...

Yay, I am glad that you have a blog. Congrats again on getting married, I was sad that I couldn't make it to the reception, but that's what happens when you move out of Utah. Well, hope all stays well for ya. Sheri

Jill T said...

It will be fun to keep up with your married life adventures! Sounds like a fun honeymoon.

SoRenSeNs said...

I'm glad you started a blog too, because just as you guys get a house in Gunnison, we move away. At least we can keep in touch in between family gatherings this way. I laughed and laughed at your elk story... that sounds just like Mahonri.

MJ said...

Nice! I'm excited to keep up with you two. Can't wait to see you this weekend, even if we have to share you with friends. :)

Dad (TMF) said...

Lafe is ready to take you on again in a shootout.

Jill T said...

hey married lady! you need a new post!:)