Saturday, February 12, 2011

Short School Story

On Wednesday at work, one of cutest things happened. I was at the elementary school teaching PE, as I do each day. The class that I was currently teaching was first graders. We were sitting in a circle, because we had just finished stretching, and I was waiting for the kids to stop talking and wiggling around. As I waited, I started tapping my fingers on the ground. I looked across the circle and saw a boy looking at me intently and also tapping his fingers on the ground. I then folded my hands. The boy copied me and folded his hands. I went back to tapping and he followed along again. I smiled at him and then noticed that a few other students next to him had joined in and were also copying me. I continued to do different things with my hands and eventually all of the students in the class were quietly coping my hand movements. I would tap the ground, then clasp my hands, then tap again, clap, and just do random things. They all continued to follow along. We eventually broke into laughter and then continued class and played a game. It was one of those heart warming moments you get as a teacher.

No comments: